Founded in 2008, the Travelers Rest Historical Society is a nonprofit organization that strives to preserve and encourage others to preserve historical material and property in and around the Travelers Rest area.
SOME OF What We've Achieved
- Opened the History Museum of Travelers Rest.
- Initiated and continue to sponsor nationally recognized Spirit of ‘45 celebration in honor of the ending of WWII.
- Co-sponsored Smithsonian exhibit: Hometown Teams: How Sports Shape America.
- Initiated and sponsored bi-monthly storytelling nights.
- Sponsored historical marker at Mush Creek Baptist church.
- Published Images of America: Travelers Rest.
- Published History of Travelers Rest, South Carolina: A Sense of Place by Marian Cooper Bryan.
- Initiated the Lamp Post Project along Main Street in Travelers Rest.
- Initiated and sponsored historical marker on major highway honoring Dr. John Laney Plyer. (Read more here.)
- Sponsored Lewis Lockaby for the Textile Heritage Society Hall of Fame Award in 2014.